All material on ths site is copyright - © 2001 - 2010 Paul Anslow
Anslow 3.2 km (2 Miles) NW from Burton upon Trent.
Anslow is Anglo-Saxon village on the Needwood Forrest Plateau. In the 10th century it was called Eansythlege, "Eanswyith's woodland or clearing". In the late 12th Century was created a manor by Burton Abbey in 1178-82 and until 1861 formed part of the Rolleston and Tutbury parishes. In the mid 16th Century it passed to the Paget family of Beaudesert. A field called Bell Grove records the site of the Curfew Bell Tree. Curfews were held on six days scattered throughout the year to repel evil spirits, witches, goblins and friends.
In the 19th Century was then an area of farmland carved out from the former expanse of the Forest of Needwood and this, together with extensive common lands, which were enclosed in 1802, has resulted in this small attractive village becoming the centre of prosperous dairy farming community. Today Anslow Village is relatively unspoilt by modern development and properties are in popular demand by people working in Burton. Anslow consists of a dispersed farming community centered around the “The Bell Inn”, the Mosley School, a post box, and a (now disused) public telephone kiosk.
Anslow Common 1.2 km (0.75 Miles) SSW of Anslow, had a squatter settlement by 1700, before it was enclosed in 1802.
Anslow Gate 1.6 km (1 Mile) W of Anslow, developed around the entry point into Needwood Forest. Anslow church, Holy Trinity of 1850, is at Anslow Gate.
The Village of Anslow is located in Staffordshire, an inland county of England. The main towns of the county include Stafford, Wolverhampton, Stoke-on-Trent, Litchfield and Dudley. The Pottery Coalfields occupies the north and the Black Country Coalfields, once remarkable also for its iron ores, occupies the south, while in the centre are the Cannock Chase collieries. The Black Country was one of the chief iron and steel manufacturing districts in England. The Trent, which flows near Anslow, is the main river in the county.
History of the Anslow name
Century and Contemporary Village Name
10th Century, Ansthlege or Eansythlege (i.e. Eanswyth's ley (ley = pasture land)
12th Century, Asedele, Ansedelya, or Ansedeley
14th Century, Annysley, Anersley, Annesley, or Ansley
17th Century, Anslow